I didn't post Monday. Or Tuesday. I did my workouts though! Quick recap:
Monday I did a 40 minute resistance training workout at the gym. Nothing exciting, just targeted all the major muscle groups. Three sets of 10. I think 12 different exercises. Yeah. Boring. But I hadn't done a strength workout in a while, so it pretty much kicked my butt. My arms were definitely jello once I was done. I've started to really like doing upper body exercises for a very superficial reason: my arms are pretty toned, and I look badass in the mirror. I mean, I just use the mirror to focus on my form.
Tuesday I was supposed to do speedwork, but I completely forgot, so I just did an "easy" 3. Miles that is. It's hot as crap outside, and I decided it would be a good idea to run at 5PM. I finished in 26:55 I think. I was pretty beat from it, but not so much that I thought I should run in the AM or later in the evening. No, I learned that one today.
So I was all excited for my run today. I read this very interesting article on RunnersWorld.com the other day. Basically they did an experiment on how exactly running in the heat affects your body. They made this dude run on a treadmill in 53 deg. F, and then the same distance (with the same amount of water) at 90 deg. F. They measured the changes in his heart rate, core temperature, sweat loss, plasma volume, and lactate amount.
I was going to kind of recreate the experiment for myself (yeah, I know, I'm a nerd, you don't have to say it) with what I have available to me. I measured my pre-run weight (so I could measure sweat loss & dehydration) and temperature, and I strapped on my heart rate monitor*. Obviously I don't have the equipment to test my plasma or lactate amount. And off I went.
1.25 miles later I had a GINORMOUS cramp. Not a stitch in my side, but more of stomachache type thing. As in, I think my increased heart rate was speeding up my central nervous system, and thus speeding up my digestion system, sending all food left in my stomach hastily to my bowels. I optimistically thought it would go away and decided just to walk for a little while. I'll spare the details, but I ended up walking further, and then decided to screw the run and go home. Only I had to walk, so it took forever. Most. Uncomfortable. 2 miles. Ever. I don't know what the deal was. I had half a banana with a small spoonful of almond butter about 45 minutes before my run. Not really a cramp-inducing food for me (normally). I guess it was just too hot =(.
So I didn't get my 4 miles in today. I made the executive** decision that I'd get up early tomorrow morning when it's cooler, and do it then, and not worry about the 3 I had scheduled for tomorrow. I think it's important for me to get the miles in. Or the extra mile. Whatever. Maybe I'll do my heat experiment on myself some other time.
I did eventually feel better and eat a giant bowl of Cranberry Almond Crunch for dinner. I love me some cereal. Especially when it has oat clusters and cranberries.
*I have a vague idea of what my average heart rate was for a 4 mile run back in March/April.
**I am the executive trainer. Of myself. Yeah. I have power.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment